Addiction has plagued the United States for decades now –whether from legal products such as alcohol, tobacco and prescription drugs to illicit substances such prohibited opiates, steroids and other psychoactive drugs; the fact remains that more than 23 million people live with addiction today. Chances are that, 1 out of 6 people you see on a daily basis have addiction problems.
In 2012, the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration report that the biggest population of rehabilitation participants suffer from alcohol abuse. Out of the 1 million plus people who undergone treatment in 2012, a big percentage represents alcohol abusers totalling to 701,147 persons. But when taking a closer look, although there is a smaller number of treatment participants that cite drugs as their primary problem, the truth is that there exists alcohol addiction patients, about 45% of them that struggle with both alcohol and illicit drugs.
Sad to say though, there is still a vast majority of people who needed treatment but never had the chance to get it. Statistics show that there are about 20 million people who live ruined lives due to drugs or alcohol. It is sad to think that these people are still suffering –they have lost their jobs, drifted apart from their families and live lonely and miserable lives – they could have been rescued if they underwent treatment. In worst cases, these people may lose their lives. In 2012, the total records of deaths due to alcohol related causes was about 88,000 people.
Now the question is, given that people know the extent of damages caused by alcohol or drug addiction, why couldn’t they ask for help knowing that they are into deep into their reliance on addictive substances? What’s keeping them from surrendering themselves and admit that they need to go into a rehab program that could help them?
Why don’t they seek professional help when they know they need it?
96%, out of 20.2 million people are definitely in dire need for treatment but they don’t even realize itClick to tweet
Surprisingly, despite going through a-lot of hardship and living a ruined life, individuals still don’t see the need for treatment. 96%, out of 20.2 million people are definitely in dire need for treatment but they don’t even realize it despite of all the destruction their lifestyle has caused. The remaining 4% of the population mentioned earlier either didn’t really make an effort to try rehab or they have tried to undergo rehab but have failed.
The National Survey on Drug Use and Health who came up with the survey numbers conducted interviews on those who knew they need treatment but didn’t make an effort to participate in any program. The interviewees were asked specifically on why did they not subject themselves to rehab and the majority answered that they were not ready or they did not want to stop taking drugs or stop drinking. The National Survey on Drug Use and Heath then concluded that these people actually doubt the effectiveness of treatment programs or they might be in a state of total dependence on drugs and that they could not bear living their lives without drug use or alcohol consumption.
Families, friends and colleagues – people who are concerned for the well-being of these addicts, urge their loved ones to please go and admit into rehab programs but for different reasons, their efforts are often unsuccessful. Aside from the two top reasons, being not reading to stop addiction and incapability to afford the treatment payment, other minor reasons include the possible negative effects on their jobs, concerns about the negative opinion of others, not knowing where to go for treatment and that there is no program having the type of treatment they need.
It’s also becoming a concerning issue that many “experts” concerning the situation give ill advice saying that “they need to hit rock bottom before they will go to rehab,” — this doesn’t help at all. The reality is that, some of these people will die before they will hit rock bottom.
While it’s another undeniable truth that a lot of these addicted people need help to make the decision of subjecting themselves for treatment, it’s also an important job for an effective intake unit of a rehab program or an interventionist to come in and guide them in actually making the decision. They are also vital in the treatment process as they provide the guidance that patients need in order to be successful in the rehabilitation course.